Friday, February 18, 2011

"Decision to Go into Politics"

Honestly, while reading Mein Kampf, I honestly found myself smiling and almost chuckling at how absurd Hitler is to me. I think it's the exaggerated emotional quality of his writing that doesn't allow me to take him seriously. COUNTLESS times throughout the text he says how angry, upset, frustrated, fed up, and over all irritated he is with the results of the war, the propaganda, the Jewish clerks, the economy, the government, basically EVERYTHING. It's hard to take someone seriously when all they do is complain about everything.
This melodramatic quality of Hitler seems to just be a feature of his personality, a prominent one. However, I feel like the war gave him a purpose, a point, a cause. It gave him an outlet to channel those emotions. Already a pretty adamant nationalist, the war just added fuel to the fire. I feel like Hitler just needed a a reason to be angry. The failure of the war was this reason.
I'm sure that this is why it was so easy to believe in Hitler. He was a "man of the people." His emotions made him appear sincere. Hitler shows how easily people can be convinced of anything, especially students. It was a time where people needed some direction and a cause. And since Hitler probably actually believed in his own logic, it was easy for him to share with others, students, that his cause was a worthy one.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with this post. HItler was very melodramatic, and was kind of a whiner. He sounded ridiculous in most of his writings, placing blame where it obviously didn't belong. While the war gave him a purpose, and he had had things to be angry about, he was also obviously an extremist. He was smart in his beginnings, taking one of the few things he was good at (public speaking) and gathering a following, but he became too wrapped up in finding someone to take out all of his anger on. He was so angry with the outcome of the war, but it probably was his own fault. The way that world war II for Germany was obviously a result of the extremism exercised by Hitler. He believed in himself, which made it easy for others to follow him. Everyone wants to find someone else to blame things on, so nothing has to be their fault, which was probably one of the problems coming out of World War I, and eventually helping along World War II

    ReplyDelete