Browning's focus on individual experiences helps to remind that we cannot examine the events carried out by this battalion with blanket reasons in mind. Each man's experience and reasoning was undeniably different in response to these imposed conditions. And even those imposing the conditions underwent their own physical and psychological phases (Hoffman's case particularly comes to mind). And yet we attempt to understand how all of them ended up participating in the brutal horrors of the Holocaust. I have been guilty of the assumption that those responsible and who perpetrated this event were anti-Semitic, hardcore Nazis. Just going to the Museum of Tolerance emphasizes that the Nazi ideology was the spark in the tinder box, and makes it seem as though all those who participated in the extermination of the Jews embraced that. And I absolutely do not deny that, that kind of intolerance and ideology is extremely dangerous and responsible for much, if not most of what happened.
Yet the fact remains that, after reading Ordinary Men, I had a more deep realization that the Holocaust wasn't just carried out in the name of Nazi ideals, though perhaps it was initiated by it. But for these everyday men, once the ball got rolling; once Jews were separated and starved and did become diseased it was perhaps easier to view them that way; once routine shootings commenced in the deportation of the ghettos it was perhaps easier to move on to the 'Jew hunt'. Whether the men in the battalion enjoyed killing or not, they knew a life that would put them in line with bloody, notorious name of Nazi. It is terrifying to think that someone who is seemingly without racist inclination and violent hate could eventually come to participate in an extremely racist and hateful event. Though we may consider individual experiences, and not everyone actually invested in what was happening, there was still a lack of major resistance, which implies that there had to be at least limited participation among those involved in what was happening. I just think it is still rather unsettling to examine how conditions of Nazism (at least the violent anti-semitic essence we associate it with) seemed to actually infect, or at least affect, those who might be understood as healthy people. And perhaps I shouldn't allow that to sit in such simple terms. But that is as much as I can articulate at the moment.
~Cat Crowley
I found your post really interesting. I think the different techniques that Hitler and the Nazi's thought up to deal with the "Jewish Problem" is truly creative. I mean what sane person would think to send al of a race off to MAdagascar...really, thats just abnormal thinking. However, an example like that is why Hitler and the Nazi's were able to gain power because they though in different ways than other people. Ordinary Men is just an example of how people followed that power and those ideas. It is truly ridiculous that the plans were able to progress into violence so rapidly but most fundamentalist type political systems are based on violence and I guess it was only a matter of time until Hitler and his minions joined in on the norm.
ReplyDelete